For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line an 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and butter and mix until the mixture forms a dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and flour until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest to the egg mixture and whisk again until well combined.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the crust and spread it evenly.
- Bake the bars for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set and slightly golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, dust the top of the bars with powdered sugar.
- Cut the bars into squares and serve.
These lemon bars are best enjoyed chilled and are perfect for any occasion, from picnics to dinner parties. Enjoy!