For the cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate syrup, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, mixing until well combined.
- Add in the heavy cream, coffee liqueur, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the frosting over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips over the top of the frosting.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the top of the cake, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy your Mississippi Mudslide Cake!
Note: This cake is best served at room temperature. You can store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days