- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch (23cm) cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the lemon glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and place it on a wire rack.
- Using a skewer or toothpick, poke holes all over the surface of the cake.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake while it’s still warm.
- Let the cake cool completely before serving.
Enjoy your delicious and refreshing lemon cake!