For the rolls:
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115°F or 43-46°C)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the honey butter:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, sugar, melted butter, and yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- Add 3 cups of flour, the egg, and salt to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add the remaining cup of flour gradually, stirring until the dough comes together and is no longer sticky.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a clean cloth. Let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place it in the prepared baking dish, leaving a little space between each roll.
- Cover the baking dish with a cloth and let it rise for another 30-45 minutes, or until the rolls have doubled in size.
- Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown.
- To make the honey butter, beat the softened butter, honey, and salt together until smooth.
- Brush the rolls with the honey butter immediately after removing them from the oven.
Serve the warm Roadhouse Rolls with additional honey butter on the side. Enjoy!