For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the frosting:
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Stir in the hot water until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, sugar, and egg yolks until well combined.
- Add the butter and vanilla extract to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the coconut and chopped pecans.
- Allow the frosting to cool to room temperature before using.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread half of the frosting evenly over the top of the cake layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade German Chocolate Cake!
Note: You can also make this recipe into cupcakes by filling a lined cupcake tin 2/3 of the way full with batter and baking for 20-25 minutes at 350°F (175°C). Top with a dollop of frosting and chopped pecans.