For the choux pastry:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
For the whipped cream filling:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, butter, salt, and sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add in the flour all at once, stirring until the mixture forms a ball.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.
- Pipe 1-2 inch rounds onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between each puff.
- Bake the puffs for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and puffed up.
- Turn off the oven and let the puffs cool completely in the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- While the puffs are cooling, make the whipped cream filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together until stiff peaks form.
- Once the puffs are cooled, cut them in half horizontally.
- Spoon or pipe the whipped cream filling onto the bottom half of each puff. Then place the top half back on.
- Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious cream puffs!