- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) small shell pasta
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbled, about 8-10 minutes. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the vegetable oil to the skillet and heat it over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, green chilies, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- To serve, spoon the cooked pasta into bowls and ladle the meat sauce over the top. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Conchitas con Carne, a classic Mexican comfort food!