For the chocolate cake layers:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the cheesecake layer:
- 24 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans.
- To make the chocolate cake layers, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Slowly pour in the hot water and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cake pans.
- To make the cheesecake layer, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the cheesecake batter evenly over the chocolate cake batter in the cake pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely in the pans before removing them.
- To make the chocolate ganache, heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to boil.
- Remove the cream from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and butter until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Place one of the chocolate cake layers on a cake plate and spread a thin layer of the chocolate ganache on top.
- Place the second chocolate cake layer on top and spread a thin layer of the chocolate ganache on top.
- Place the cheesecake layer on top of the second chocolate cake layer.
- Spread the remaining chocolate ganache over the top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious chocolate cheesecake cake!