This Cheese Smoked Sausage Soup is loaded with spicy sausage and soft veggies in a creamy, cheesy sauce! With less than 7 net carbs per serving, this is a great low-carb, keto-friendly soup!
Filled with cajun flavors, smoked sausage, and fresh vegetables, this divine low-carb soup creates a perfect taste sensation. Slightly spicy but softened with cheese, this versatile soup can be adapted to suit any palette. Surprisingly, despite its luxurious feel, this smoked sausage soup contains only 6.8 net carbs, making it the perfect treat for Keto lovers.
Ingredients in Smoked Sausage Soup
- smoked sausage
- green pepper
- Meat Water
- canned tomatoes
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Start by frying your sliced smoked sausage in a saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat before draining off the excess oil. Then add the garlic, onion, pepper and celery and continue frying until the vegetables are soft.
Put the undrained can of tomatoes with the broth, mix well and let the mixture cook for a delicious 25 minutes. During this time, keep your soup covered and on low heat. Finally, add cubes of cream cheese and cheddar until melted for a luxurious creamy finishing touch.
Can I Freeze Smoked Sausage Soup?
You can definitely freeze your smoked sausage soup, so why not go ahead and cook up a big batch! If you plan to freeze your soup, it’s best to undercook the vegetables a little and leave out the cheese, which can separate when frozen.
You can add this to serve after your soup has been reheated. Also, if you know you will only be feeding yourself, be sure to freeze in separate serving sizes to avoid waste and reduce heating time.
The best idea is to plan ahead and thaw your soup in the refrigerator overnight before gently reheating it in a skillet when you’re ready to eat it. That said, we all need a quick bite to eat in a hurry from time to time, and luckily, reheating smoked sausage soup from frozen in the microwave is pretty easy!
Partially cover the serving of your soup in a microwave-safe bowl and whirl it in the microwave for 2 minutes over low heat before stirring and swirling it for another 2 minutes. After your soup has defrosted, start heating at high power at 2-minute intervals until the pipes are warm again.
Tips for Making Keto Sausage Soup
For those who love the heat outside, why not replace the classic smoked sausage with a spicy chorizo? In the meantime, you can even replace regular cheddar cheese with a smoked version if you want to keep that amazing smoky flavor! For a soft and stringy cheese texture, mozzarella can also be a great addition.
- 1 (13.5-ounce) package Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 small onion (1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 (32 ounces) broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable
- 1 (10 ounce) green pepper tomato, undrained
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- Brown the sliced smoked sausage in a saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Drain any grease
- Add the garlic, onion, pepper, and celery until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the undrained tomato and broth, mix well and let the mixture simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
- Just before serving, add the diced cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until melted.