- December 4, 2021
This Cheesy Keto Taco Soup is loaded with Mexican flavor and none of the carbs! At less than 6 net carbs per serving, this no bean, low-carb soup will be your new favorite!
I have always loved soup, I could eat it anytime of the year. My first try with Keto was last fall and I did pretty well, but I did find it really challenging to give up my favorites. When the holidays rolled around it got very difficult and I threw in the towel. However, I really committed in January and the second try stuck. I reached my goal weight after a few months and have since started carb cycling and I’ve been able to maintain the weight I feel happiest with.
Ingredients for Low-Carb Taco Soup
This easy taco soup has a short ingredients list. All you need to make it is:
- Ground beef
- Green bell pepper
- Canned tomatoes with green chiles
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Canned green chiles
- Taco seasoning
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
Can I Use a Different Ground Meat?
Of course! I love making this taco soup with ground beef, but ground turkey or chicken may also be used.
How to Make Keto Taco Soup
This recipe is based off of my wildly popular Keto Chili. The base of the soup is a beef broth and tomato paste mixture that allows for a rich broth with a tomato kick without the carbs tomato juice adds. The bulk of the soup is ground beef or turkey, tomatoes, green chilies, bell pepper, jalapeño and spices.
After you combine these ingredients, the soup simmers for about 20 minutes to reduce some of the juice and allow it to thicken. The final step is to add cream cheese and a bit of cream to make this dish wonderfully creamy and cheesy.
How many net carbs are in Keto Taco Soup?
The serving size for this soup comes to about 1.5 cups. I estimate that because it will depend on how much you allow your broth reduce. The serving size could range from 1 and 1/4 cups to 1 and 1/2 cups and should serve 8 comfortably. The net carbs come to 5.3 net carbs.
Tips for the Best Taco Soup
- Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature so it melts smoothly into the soup and does not curdle.
- This is one of those dishes that I think gets better as it sits, so this is an ideal meal prep option because the flavor only gets better. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Top this easy keto soup with shredded cheese, avocado and sour cream for an easy dinner everyone will love!
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 5 cups beef broth (One 32 ounce carton beef broth + 1 cup)
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 ( 4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 4 ounces room temp cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cream
- Brown the meat over medium heat in a medium size sauce pot or dutch oven. Drain off any grease
- Add the peppers, undrained tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, green chilies, taco seasoning and stir well.
- Allow chili to simmer over medium low heat uncovered for approximately 20 minutes until the tomato juice has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the cream cheese and cream just before serving.
Slow Cooker Version:
- Brown the meat as directed, drain off any grease and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving add the cream cheese and cream, stir until dissolved.