For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and oil together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts, if using.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spread a layer of frosting on top of one of the cooled cakes.
- Place the second cake on top of the frosted cake.
- Spread a layer of frosting on top of the second cake and around the sides.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious and classic Carrot Cake with cream cheese frosting as a dessert or a sweet treat any time of the day!