- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a 9-inch cake pan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream together the remaining 1/4 cup butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter over the apples in the cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Invert the cake onto a serving platter and serve warm.
Enjoy your delicious Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake!