For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the pudding:
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the topping:
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- Sliced bananas for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract and mashed bananas.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the pudding. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, cold milk, and sour cream until well combined.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then poke holes all over the surface with a fork.
- Pour the pudding over the cake, spreading it evenly into the holes.
- Spread the whipped topping over the pudding layer, then sprinkle the crushed vanilla wafers on top.
- Chill the Banana Pudding Cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Optionally, top with sliced bananas before serving. Enjoy!